CLYDE H. ASHTON
Final Flight on September 07, 2011
Clyde H. Ashton, USAF
January 11, 1933 - September 07, 2011
HAMILTON, NJ - Clyde H. Ashton, 78, of Hamilton, passed away Wednesday, September 7, 2011.
Born in Trenton, he was raised in Hopewell and was a member of the Calvary Baptist Church. He attended elementary schools in Hamilton and Hopewell and graduated from Princeton High School in 1951 and Rutgers University in 1955 with a Bachelor of Science degree in Horticulture.
A U.S. Air Force veteran, he served as a multi engine and helicopter pilot from 1956-1959 and was honorably discharged as a captain.
He owned and operated Ashton's Lawn and Garden Center for seven years and most recently retired as vice president of Turf Equipment Sales for Double Eagle Equipment Company in Dayton, N.J.
A member of the Golf Course Superintendents Association of New Jersey and director of the New Jersey Turfgrass Association for several years, he was also past president and treasurer of the Garden State African Violet Club. He belonged to the TriState African Violet Council and was an African Violet Society of America Show Judge.
Predeceased by his wife of 56 years, Margaret "Peggy" Selk Ashton; Clyde is survived by four sons and three daughters-in-law, Jeffrey D. and Sandi Ashton of Phoenix, AZ, Timothy C. and JoAnne Ashton of Chesterfield, Mark A. Ashton of West Windsor, and Daniel F. and Linda S. Ashton of West Trenton; nine grandchildren, Jeffrey Ashton and wife Megan, Kierra Ashton, Dean Ashton and wife Liz, Leslie Smith and husband Kemp, Timothy Ashton and his fiancÚ Jenie, Thomas and Kimberly Ashton, Daniel and Andrew Ashton; two great-granddaughters, Kensley and Hayden Smith; and a brother, Paul A. Ashton of Summerdale, AL.
There will be no calling hours and a private graveside service will be held in Highland Cemetery, Hopewell.
Memorial contributions may be made to Samaritan Hospice, 5 Eves Dr. Suite 300, Marlton, NJ 08053.
Arrangements are under the direction of the Saul Colonial Home, Hamilton Square, NJ.
Published in The Trentonian on Sept. 9, 2011